Monday, March 17, 2008

Stepping outside of your comfort zone

At one of our stops is a delightful, older woman who lives in an old mill town. She seems to be someone who has lived there her whole life, just like so many in Western Pennsylvania. But there is one way she is unlike the expected stereotype - she is a foreign film fanatic. She takes out 5 - 10 each week, bringing in a list for next week with her. She watches films from all around the world, not just the classic directors - Fellini, Bergman - or the famous sources - France and Italy. I have ordered Iranian, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, and yes, Icelandic.

Now, I have dipped here and there into foreign films over the years. I loved Farewell My Concubine, watched the Virgin Spring in college. As a classics major I watched many foreign films that dealt with classic myths: Black Orpheus, Orphee, Oedipus the King. But in general, I didn't take any risks. After reserving these films for this woman for several years now, I decided to take the plunge and try a few that sounded particularly off-beat and interesting. If you have been reading this blog, you can guess I started with the Icelandic film Noi. What a fabulous film. It was interesting to hear the language - not at all what I expected, not similar at all to other Scandinavian languages. Seeing the local scenery and the way people live in Iceland was fascinating, but the story was so moving, funny and yet sad. I was glad I tried it. I then moved on to Tokyo Story. Another lovely film, very minimalistic, but a fascinating look at Japanese culture. Since then I have jumped headlong into it - just this past weekend I watched another Icelandic film The Seagull's Laughter.

Similarly, I have stepped further outside my comfort zone in reading books, taking a chance on biographies, fiction that isn't mysteries. There are far more hits than misses, and the best part of reading a book borrowed from the library is that if you don't like it you haven't wasted anything but a few minutes of your time. More often you have opened new worlds, discovered new ideas, and fresh or different ways of looking at life. I was desperate for an audiobook for my communte home a couple of years ago, and finally took a risk on what ended up one of the best books I have ever read - My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, now a favorite author of mine. I never imagined I would enjoy such unsettling stories that never really tie up the story in a neat bundle.

So take a risk or two - close your eyes and just grab a book. We librarians take care in selecting books, and you will be hard pressed to find a title that either isn't by a tried and true author, or didn't get good reviews. Will every risky choice result in a book you like? No of course not, but you will like the book most of the time. Along the way you will find new favorite authors or genres. Your outlook will broaden, you will become more understanding of the people and world around us, you will enrich your life and find new ways to enjoy a quiet moment with a book or movie.

Movies: Adam's Apple
The Cuckoo
Book: Standing Still, by Kelly Simmons

1 comment:

Beth@ACLA said...

This is a great profile of someone who can't or won't be categorized by who they are or where they live. Thanks for this profile - growing up in a small steeltown myself I know how easy it is to be stereotyped. PS I love Icelandic literature.