Sunday, December 23, 2007

Snowmen - more than you ever imagined

Last time, I recommended the book: History of the Snowman, by Bob Eckstein. I had read about it in various library review periodicals and being fond of snowmen in a as long as I don't have to be the one out in the cold making them sort of way, I requested the book to see what it was all about. Well in a word - snowmen. But it is a delightful book. Mr. Eckstein writes with a great deal of humor, yet it really is a scholarly tome underneath. I was amazed at how much there is to know about snowmen - especially their appearances in early literature (we are talking medieval here) and art. The book also is an interesting exploration of popular culture and the development of an icon.

Anyway, I got an email from Mr. Eckstein - he discovered that I had mentioned his book in this blog (just check out the comments on the last posting). His contact brought me to his website:


Take a moment to check this site out. Just the snowman of the day is worth the visit, but there is so much more to the page like the picture below.










It's in the posting about the planned snowman amusement park in Norway - the idea fit right in with my 'thing' with Scandinavian mysteries. I can just imagine the story . . .

Books: The Making of the Wizard of Oz, by Aljean Harmetz
From Abba to Zoom: a popular culture encyclopedia of the late 20th Centure, David Mansour


No comments: